Tuesday 21 February 2012

Love - Hate

A couple of weekends back I went to one of my most favourite shops in town  Zinnia, which is situated in an older part of Hamilton.  This part of Hamilton (Hamilton East) is full of lovely old houses, wide streets and lush gardens.  Unfortunately parts have ugly blocks of flats!!!  But back to Zinnia.

This shop is full of all sorts of nic nacs of various prices.  Vintage, French, Kiwiana, just too much to list.  I love the fact that I have to walk around the interior more than once so I don't miss a thing.  But I bet I still do.  If I ever need a gift for someone who can handle a good laugh then this is where I go.  They wrap your buys in bright pink tissue and slip it into bags with big colourful spots on. BLISS!!






  So what did I buy that day????  For starters I got me this tin sign!!!  Sums me up really!!
  


And there were these coasters.  A wicked Frida Kahlo brooch, and lip gloss inside a Russian doll.  I could spend a fortune in here but I have to limit myself.  Have a few special number birthdays coming up this year so I will be back to Zinnia for sure.










Amongst some of the shops is a house that is home to this rather huge Buddha.  It sits amongst a shit hole of a garden ravaged with weeds but looks quite content.  

I LOVE IT!!!


I LOVE ZINNIA!!!






My pet HATE or biggest gripe is Tags!!!  I just don't get what drives people to tag, and I just don't get people that call tagging Graffiti??  I will show you the difference.





Tag


And again Tag!!

Why would someone or should I say something want to tag a tree??  A beautiful old tree that has survived for years just minding its own business being a tree.  How do you untag a tree?  Just mindless and destructive of something that is not harmful or bad.  A tree for farks sake!!

I would line the taggers up and spray them with words that are actually readable like, ARSEHOLE, or something equally appealing!!





Now this is Graffiti, in my mind ART!!!  Lets have more of this sort of thing on our walls but not our trees.

Feel much better now for getting that off my ample chest.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That shop looks like fun - the Frida brooch is FABULOUS! I could not agree MORE - I love graffiti - or any good street art - but hate those ugly scrappy looking tags - especially on trees or private fences... not cool.

Sarah xxx

Vix said...

Your buys are fabulous, loving that Frida brooch and those groovy coasters. Jon bought me a massive Buddha head like that one for my 40th, it's hidden in our weed ridden garden somewhere, I must go and do something about it.
When I was about 14 some besotted nutter scribbled my name all over the town centre, I was mortified. x

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

I love that shop too, I got my dragonfly ring from there! I think we need a Hamilton East trip soon!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the tin sign!!