Friday 25 April 2014

A beautiful day to remember the past

Today was ANZAC day. 

I toyed with the idea of going to the Dawn parade but didn't opting for going later on in the day when the sun was up and shining. 

First thing this morning there was fog, and it had left dew resting on the plants and spider webs outside. The Dawn parade would have been eerie in the fog, but better than in the rain like most years.

I visited the Cenotaph in Memorial Park.


I love this place, full of huge old trees, beautifully kept gardens, memorials and resides river side.






It was such a lovely day to take time to wander and read all the plaques on the walls in the park.  People were coming and going, checking out the flowers on the Cenotaph and generally quietly going about their business. I guess a time for quiet reflection as we all have relatives from old that fought in a war.


My Great Grandfather Louis Holden seated in the first photo, not sure what war, my Pop, Horace (dads father) in his flying gear fought in the first world war, and my grandfather William (mums father) in the second world war.  All survived and came home.  As a mother of two sons I cannot imagine how hard it must have been to see your lads head off to war, not knowing if they would come home and if they did, how would they be.  Changed for sure, scarred, injured, but hopefully alive.





ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and it was used to show a soldier came from these two countries during World War 1.  We have this day set aside to commemorate the landing of the ANZACs at Gallipoli in Turkey during WW1 in 1915, so next year is the 100th commemoration.  I think I should make the supreme effort and head to the Dawn parade next year.  Now before you think I am knowledgeable I will confess to Googling this history for you, as I obviously didn't pay a great deal of attention when at school learning such stuff.  I mean I knew it but Google refreshed my aging mind!! 


The Red Poppy is the symbol of war remembrance the world over.


Right opposite Memorial Park is this stair case of 76 stairs, yes I counted the buggers as I climbed up them today.  You see, when my sisters and I were children dads parents lived in Von Tempsky Street which is sort of at the top of this set of stairs.  We used to play on a path out the back of their home and on these stairs, so it has been a few years since I have climbed up and down them.  I forgot how lovely it is there.  Unfortunately their house is no longer in the street, a Birthing Centre is there now.

History lesson over.


You know how I am in love with my tie dyed top that I wore the other day but couldn't take a full length photo of me wearing it, well naughyt old me, I got me another one.  

But just look at all the gorgeous colours!!!!!  
I promise to stop at two OK!  

Perfect for today's weather and I am pretty sure you will see this and the other one numerous time from now until next summer.  I have conceded and ready to welcome Winter.  This means dragging out the winter woolies very soon, which is almost like getting a whole new wardrobe for me as I pack my clothes away each season.  

Wait until you see my Winter shoe/boot collection!!!

6 comments:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

It is a special place, no yarn bombing this time. When do you wanna do the bag?

Vix said...

Ta for the history lesson! Love the tie dye, glad you went back for a second one! x

Curtise said...

I think about that too; imagining my son (though he's only 10 right now) being called up to fight. It's a dreadful thought. I do think it's important to remember but not glorify.
Lovely photos, Sue. Great tie-dye top! xxx

Leeanne said...

I just LOVE your photo's especially the cobweb ones!
Groovie top, even here in Northland the temperatures have dropped.
happy weekend to you!

Peaches McGinty said...

It is a very important time, we really should remember and honour those who fought.
Your tie dye is awesome! I'm bracing myself for your winter shoe collection, I will have a very happy face on the unveiling of them, love your shoes! x x x

Angels have Red Hair said...

Oh … you cheated … my shoe collection included summer , winter and everything in between shoes … you only showed half … I might win this race yet!!
But who's the winner??? The one with the most or the least???
:0)
xx