Monday 10 September 2018

Week 36/52 - The small car that really is still big!!

I had a fantastic day out on Thursday last week.  I decided it was time to drive over to Morrinsville to check out the second hand and Op shops, and I did not come home empty handed!!

Someone forgot to tell my little Red that it is a little car.  Thankfully with her back seats folded down she transforms into a little wagon, so that old bike came back to my garden.  Along with some lovely big blue glazed pots and some other bits and bobs.  Morrinsville has a few op shops so I visited them all. I grabbed a coffee and a slice for the drive back to town. 

I took a slight detour on my way home and stopped in @ the Hamilton Gardens.  There is a new Jetty for the River Explorer, a boat.  The River was so high that some trees looked like they were growing in the water.

After inspecting the colourful arches on the Jetty I read the info board on the River Explorer, and now think a wee river cruise might be a thing to try.  You can even have lunch while cruising, but after looking on their website it is booked well into October!!

         It turned out I had this part of the gardens all to myself!!

The sign basically says DO NOT PICK THE FLOWERS, but so many still get picked.  Well the hills are smothered in dafs this time of the year so it is very tempting.  And NO I did not pick any!

My little haul from Morrinsville.  The two Tennis Sets I have been watching for months in this shop.  Part of a set of things in the same style.  So I offered them $20 for the two and they agreed.  The small quilted hanging was $2.50, the cute small basket containing an enamel pick nick set was $5 and the sitting pixie was $1. Not Bad huh!!


My gorgeous new wooden clothes pegs I got from Tony Sly in Raglan on Friday when Toni and I went for a drive and a walk around the shops.  Of course lunch was out at Manu Bay.

Great news, our weather has been rather Spring like the last few days.  So dining out side has been a must for me, and of course my little mate. The weekend was spent in the garden of course, we were making the most of the lovely sunshine.

My beloved Garden Swing broke due to a slow but inevitable death from RUST so it no longer will provide me with endless relaxing moments. Booooooo hooooo!!  So I decided that a revamp of that part of the garden needed to happen. I laid some large pavers and placed pots about.  I actually think this will be a nice spot for a chair or even some cushions.

While on the revamp roll I did major pruning and laid more pavers in this spot.  Under the Hammock frame, and parked one of the bikes in the garden as well.

My best score of the week is this Conservatory (shown still attached to the previous owners house) for ONE DOLLAR!!!  I was supposed to go help pull it down etc but the guy phoned before our arranged time saying "hey Sue, my builder and I have dismantled the conservatory and have it on a trailer so we will bring it round to your place". TOF and I then revised the whole dollar thing and gave him $50, still a bargain. Anyway, now the vege garden plan has been altered as the Conservatory is now going to be re purposed into a Green House!!  I am so freakin excited!!!  So watch this space.


The New Zealand Film Festival is in full swing and over the weekend I went to two films with my friend Pam.  Our first one was 'Leave no trace' which had a young kiwi actress in it.  It was good, easy viewing etc.  The second one was 'Puzzle'.  OMG what a fabulous film that was.  We have one more to see 'Yellow is Forbidden'.  It was so hard trying to narrow down what to go to as we had to book in advance and so many got booked out really fast.  I have really enjoyed seeing some non box office hits, and the Lido Theatre is so grown up, luxury seating and drinks and snacks are available to buy.  What is there not to enjoy.

I even managed a little hand stitching!!  This is filled with dried Lavender and is a gift for a friend.  She will be able to hang it in her car or house.  I rather enjoyed making this and I am sure she will love it.


Old Big has been in the wars of late, not that you would know it from this photo.  He has been having battles in the hood and has an abscess on his back, that I am bathing.  Hopefully it will not need a trip to the VET $$$$$!!!!  I think I may need to give him 'The Talk' and explain that he is too old for this sort of behavior.  Wish me luck! 

WORDS: 

 

8 comments:

chris. said...

those old bikes bring back so many memories, your garden is looking great again Sue, look forward to seeing your new green house. Chris xoxo

Poppy Q said...

What a great week, and I look forward to seeing your greenhouse. Poor Mr Big - would you ring the vet and see if they say to bring him in? I just had a cat once that got a bad abscess and had a terrible time with it.

Anyways glad you are getting some nice sun and warmth. A little sun here but still chilly at 9 deg. Am looking forward to a bit more in the coming weeks.

Julie

Polyester Princess said...

We used to have a little car which had amazing space as well. We once picked up two armchairs and could see people standing around laughing, thinking we'd never fit them in, but we did! What a haul from the Op-shops. Hamilton Gardens is looking amazing, and how great that you almost had them to yourself! I'm still picking up my chin from the floor after reading about your $ 1 conservatory. That must be the bargain of the century! No wonder you're excited! xxx

Nancy J said...

Mr Big, hope he gets better, and washing it out will maybe save an expensive vet visit. Such op shop goodies, and it is getting warmer during the daytime down here but still quite cool early mornings.

Bibi Maizoon said...

A conservatory for $1? Yay! What a gorgeous addition to your garden!
Love the hand stitched ascent sachets & your Morrinsville finds!@
Despite the elderly Mr Big's roughhousing & injuries resulting thereof- he looks happy & healthy! xzx

Julie said...

I would've definately had to bring that bike home Sue. And those tennis sets would've come home with me also!! Great finds! Hope Big is soon on the mend. We are getting some nice weather this week for a change. Good on you for giving the guy $50 for that conservatory ... still a bargain! I did laugh at your verse at the end. Rather appropriate in our house this morning!!

sallyhicks said...

Such great pics. Sue. Just love your conservatory. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Loved your blue and black outfit. Looked stunning with your hair.
Poor Mr. big.. We’ve been through that many times over the years and it costs a fortune. Met someone who sterilised a razor blade and gave a small cut then squeezed outputs and kept it clean with detonate in warm water. It was most effective but I could not do it.

Mim said...

I hope Big feels better soon - he is a real bruiser.

And now I have greenhouse envy...