Sunday 19 August 2018

Week 33/52 - Spending time enjoying myself!!

Unbelievably another week has disappeared.

Well at the beginning of the week on my Monday off work I picked up my friend Nina and we drove out to Gordonton to 'Do Lunch'!!  We have been trying to catch up for what seems like forever.  We went to Profs, a very nice little cafe in the grounds of Woodlands and had a seriously yum salad each.  So yum that I recreated it last night for my dinner.


A base of baby Spinach leaves, topped with Haloumi Cheese, beetroot, red onion, sliced Almonds, cranberries, pistachios, avocado, and orange, with orange juice as a dressing.  I added some cooked chicken, and it was as good as the one I paid for on Monday.

On our way home we called in @ Zealong and had a walk among the bronze sculptures. Telling the story of Tea.
It was pretty cold and started to lightly rain so we wandered back up to the Shop to have a look and get out of the weather.

Inside this award winning shop we were offered the chance to taste some tea.  I chose Earl Grey on the left, with Rose petals, Lavender and Bergamont peel. Nina chose Lady Gatsby a lighter coloured tea, both were so nice.  I ended up treating myself to one of their little tea pots that our samples were in.

After work one afternoon a went out to visit Dawn. She was busy loading her kiln and sorting things to go to a Gallery in Taupo. We decided we would go together on Friday, which is what we did.

We actually made it to Taupo, which was a surprise as both of us have no sense of direction when traveling. I'm usually too busy looking out the window.  We had a brilliant drive even tho the weather wasn't at all pleasant.

After we had delivered all the stock to L'Arte Gallery we went to the Cafe on site and had lunch. The table numbers were made from plumbing bits, very cool. Lunch was delicious and we shared some cake after with our pot of tea.

The owner and artist at L'Arte has made some amazing Mosaic features in the garden. The colours popped even on the raining day we were enduring.

Thankfully the rain stopped long enough for us to have a mooch about in the garden. I would love to have walls and stairs as colourful as those.


What a fabulous place L'Arte is, tucked away in the hills at Acacia Bay, Taupo. So glad I went and I intend on going back. Maybe another road trip with Dawn?

These beautiful painted rocks were sitting on the large chair in the above photo.  We have Tron rocks in Hamilton, so we took them both.  Dawn placed the one on the right in her friends garden at Aria (in the countryside) and I am taking the one on the left to Hamilton Gardens.

Before we made our way back to Hamilton we drove back down the hill in Acacia Bay to go Lake side.  On a good day you would see the snow covered mountains across Lake Taupo, but there was mist and rain, but you knew those mountains were there as it was a bit on the chilly side.

We took a wrong turn when leaving Taupo but we were still heading North so didn't worry.  Then we came across a sign saying 'Te Kuiti', so Dawn thought we should go visit her friend Jo an artist (painter). Well she actually lives on a huge farm high on a hill in a place called Aria which we finally found thanks to a phone call to Jo, a text from Jo giving us instructions, and google maps.

This is the view from the house, I can imagine it is very stunning on a perfect day and I here the sunsets are amazing!  We had a cuppa and I had a walk around outside.

Such lush green paddocks,
hills and valleys that seemed to go on for ever.

This flock of sheep were watching me over the fence watching and photographing me.  There were baby lambs but unfortunately for me they were in another paddock. Or is that lucky for TOF as I could have snuck one home.

It was dark by the time we got back to Dawns house, but we agreed that we had had a fabulous day out.  Day tripping in New Zealand is the best.

On Saturday TOF and I dog sat Max and Toni's two dogs.  Sheba had such a great time, Oscar tolerates these two year olds. 

Kia (the tan dog) is so adorable, a real little snuggle bum and very friendly. Stella is adorable too but for ever on the go so to get a photo of her lying down was a bonus for me.

Sheba loves the two  year olds but oh my it knackers her out some!!

Jak turned 23 on Saturday but was busy with friends so we arranged to get together today.  But I had to go decorate his ute and letter box that night when it was dark!!!  He is my baby after all!!


And send him text messages and birthday madness via Messenger of me and TOF.  He doesn't think we are mad, he knows it!!! 

This morning Jak and Alex came around with some of his Birthday Cake that Alex had got him and we were joined by Max and Toni.  The birthday boy opened his presents, we ate cake, and chatted and laughed outside under the decorated umbrella I had thrown together.








The weather held off and was pleasant all morning so once everyone had left I mowed the lawns.  I also did a bit of dead heading and pruning.

The garden has been well watered of late so everything is growing rather well.  Thankfully FLOWERS are starting to turn up again.

The return of colour you all know is very welcome. 









 
So it is Sunday evening and I am relaxing with the pets that are all spread out on the couch next to me, TOF is on call so asleep. 

I am ready for the next week
and all that it delivers me.

I leave you with this thought:

6 comments:

chris. said...

Great day trip, we went to Taupo on camp in Form 2, not that I remember it much, way to long ago, Zealong looks cool, but I'm not a tea drinker (my mum would be turning in her grave) but those sculpures look amazing. Garden looks good for the middle of August. Have a great week Sue. Chris xoxo

Nancy J said...

Aria, Piopio and Mokauiti, all wonderful isolated very country places. Just after we were married, Hugh took me there to stay with friends of his. Aerial top dressing, so many hills, and REAL country friendship. Love your day to Taupo, a neat teapot, and decorated rocks, perfect.

sallyhicks said...

What a delightful fun blog. I enjoyed every bit of it . Thanks Sue. Xx

Polyester Princess said...

That salad looks seriously yummy! I love how your weekly reports are so full of joy and beauty, even when the weather has been uncooperative! xxx

Julie said...

Great post Sue. You sure did go the long way around if you ended up in Aria. I have a cousin lives out that way. Love the rock idea. Hope you are keeping warm & dry Sue ... bit over all this rain, some spring would be nice.

Kiwionholidays said...

What a fab newsy post Sue. (Just like a letter from home) as my dear old Nana used to say .
Fab pics and you make the pics come alive with your add ons. Maybe a wee book is in the offing, and you growing up nearby???

Love all the variety in those sculptures etc and sounds like a full on FUN day you ones had. U2 there take care ..


Cheers