Monday 27 August 2018

Week 34/52 - Every day I tell myself we are getting closer to Summer, that is how I have made it through Winter!!

Of course we still need to make our way gently through Spring first which happens to be one of my favourite seasons of them all.  My garden is slowly waking up and if we could get a few more lovely days to warm up the soil I think all my spring bulbs will be up and out!!

At the moment all sorts of lovely things are flowering, and I have been buying lots of colourful things to add to the garden.


With sky that is blue I have enjoyed being out the back in the garden in the afternoons.  I re discovered lots of garden art, the perks of having a good friend that passes me her seconds!

The Gerberers I found at the Supermarket in a reduced to clear trolley, all they needed was a DRINK!!












I am loving finding plants that have self seeded and have found themselves a permanent spot in the garden.

All my climbers are budding up, like my Clematis.  This year it should be lovely, likewise the Wisteria.














Our local fruit shop is selling large Mandarins at the moment and by golly they are tasty!  I have been getting my daily Vitamin C fix via these.

The Op Shops are so so at the moment for me.  But I did come home with two Tiles and a cute Wade Whimsy.   I remember when they came in breakfast cereal, talk about showing my age!!

It's not all gardening and op shops, I treated wee Oscar to a dress up.  He wouldn't move for me, he just stood still with that 'WTF are you doing to me' look on his face.  Cute or what!!

One sunny afternoon I took a drive out to a Daffodil Farm as they grow and sell beautiful flowers.  You can pick 5 bunches of 10 flowers for $20, now that is a good deal.  No one runs the shop, it is all based on honesty, put the money in a pot or write down your intention to pay on line giving your name etc.  How cool is that in this day and age.

Top left is the 5 bunches I purchased.  I only used half and added some Tulips I had bought from the flower lady on River Road.  Bottom right is the other half of all the flowers in a vase seat belted into my car as I dropped them off to Jaks girlfriend Alex as she like me loves Spring Flowers.


I spent Friday out and about with Bint Webber as she had retail shopping to do in town so I went along for the ride.  We had a beautiful lunch at Donovans Chocolate, mine was so big half of it came home.  Anyway we ended up at Bunnings where I got 10 plants @ .95 cents each, and they went straight into the 'Garden Bed'.

I also found a parcel in my mail box from my fabulous friend Lou-lou-belle.  She gave me the set of Blue African bracelets when TOF was in hospital, the Yellow set was in the parcel. Love you Louise to the moon and back!!

The evenings here can still be a little cool.  As TOF is an early to bed kinda guy, and I'm a stay up late person, so I get the pets for companyToebee (top left) almost smiles while he sleeps.  Big just finds a spot and relaxes.

Sheba and Oscar are usually snoring away on the couch with me, always up for a snuggle coz dogs are like that! Unconditional love all the way!

Thankfully our couch is huge, as the youngest member of the fur family needs to S-T-R-E-T-C-H out as long as he can get.

Forgot to say when I went to the Daf farm I continued on to Gordonton.  I love visiting 'The Mandarin Tree' a gorgeous little gallery that stocks Dawns creations.  I bought the funky candle holder except I have been using it for cone incense. I also went to Wairere Nursery and came home with two shrubs!  The Donald Trump loo paper was in a parcel at my front door when I got home, a wee purchase from Ali Express!!! OMG the things you can buy off that site. 


Saturday was forecast for BEAUTIFUL WEATHER but someone got that quite wrong!  TOF and I plus Max and his girlfriend Toni, plus all our dogs x 4, decided we would still head out to Raglan.

Our Sheba and Max's Stella are total water babes, they had so much fun in the sea, with a stick.

Kia is happy to run on the sand and chase the other two.  Oscar I kept on a leash as there was no way I wanted him wet and covered in sand.  He still had his fare share of fun.

This trio of wet and smelly rode home in the back of TOFs truck (Toyota Surf), but we did stop for a Steak and Cheese pie and a coffee before leaving Raglan.  The rain set in as we drove home, so much for beautiful sunny day!

This was Sheba later that night, you could say she was 'knackered'!

I had a 'stay at home' day today.  While waiting for the washing to finish I sat at the outdoor table under the SUN umbrella with a brew and some Super wine biscuits, great dunkers!  I was planning.  I want to re vamp TOFs sacred vege garden.  I want some raised beds to make it easier to tend to for both of us. Now to put the plan into action.

Oscar had a cunning plan of his own.  He planted himself next to the Celery, with grand ideas of growing big. Works for plants!!

With washing done and hung, I potted about in the garden.  Dead heading, weeding and even planting.

I emptied and scrubbed a couple of bright pots and then re planted them.  Above is a Gardenia from Wairere Nursery.

This is the other Shrub I got from the nursery.  The flowers are vibrant and adorable.

 Visions of Spring.


My most happiest place of all is coming to life again!!


I picked some Freesias and bought them inside to enjoy there fragrance.

Growing failed so Oscar retired to our bed,
yes dirt and all!!
Thankfully it was dry and brushed off.

That wall got some additions today (plenty of room for more).  I faffed about at home doing STUFF.  All ready for work tomorrow now.

Before I sign off from the weekly round up, check out how long my hair is getting! Fingers crossed it keeps getting longer, like down to my BUM!!

Pic of the week: 
'the friendship continues'.

***WORDS***








6 comments:

Nancy J said...

I have ONE freesia in bloom!!! But heaps of daffs, jonquils, snowdrops, but no tulips yet. What fab pottery finds, op shops are the best.And Raglan, so many years since we have been there, it is always a treat to walk on that sand. Your garden is so bright and pretty.

Kiwionholidays said...

What a beautiful colorful blog and awesome pics to help tell the stories as well ,,

We are heading off for nearly a month, so will try and read your blog online at a library somewhere but probs cant rply on this part..

lol cos will be in the shakyist part of the 2 main isles,, doing a memory lane tour lol

Take care and enjoy the new season spring due to start on the 1st Sept, although looks like its in full swing at your home and surrounding areas


Cheers !!

sallyhicks said...

Fabulous colour Sue. Loved everything. We got a teeny weeny puppy yesterday. Shitshu/Maltese . So very tiny but so loving and lively till she collapses. All black with white feet and under chin. Her little curly fur is still like silk. Wondered if Oscar might be a mix like her. Rosie by the way. We are too scared to look in the mirror as our faces may have been licked away. Wish I knew how to take photos.

Beth Waltz said...

Thank you, Sue, for sharing your garden pix and plans. Alas, as our summer ends, we're at the raggedy-grasses-in-dead-end-of-garden stage.
Our next burst of color will be Indiana's famous fall foliage, but that's months away. Meanwhile, our furry family members doze before the fans. What a joy to see Sheba romping in the sea with the pups!

Polyester Princess said...

If you're getting closer to summer every day, this must mean that - eek! - we are getting closer to winter ;-) I love seeing what's growing in your garden, which is delightful whatever the season! xxx

chris. said...

Oh I thought spring was here til this morning, frost and O degrees brrr, Winter isn't done with us yet, garden looks great again Sue, have been sick in bed with gastro since the weekend, first morning on the comp and was lovely reading your blog. Chris xoxo