Monday 10 October 2016

Two Sues went for a cruise.....

Yes we did,
we did a roadie but I will share that later.

Wandering around in my garden I decided that the foliage is just as beautiful as the flowers and so often overlooked.

I am tempted now to put together a vase full of foliage, I do have plenty of interesting shapes and colours, and if I want something different a quick trip next door will bring me more selection.

 I forgot how beautiful this Gerbera is,
I so love these flowers.

The leaves top left are from my neighbours garden.  I now have them pressing between the pages of a large book.  That is where I discovered the ones on the right.  Does anyone else out there in blogger land press flowers and leaves?

OK, who wants to come on a ROAD TRIP?? 
Destination - Whangamata.

Friday was my sister's birthday so I had planned a visit to the beach to see her. Then I had an idea and ran it past the Webber woman, who said "YES I'll come", and that is exactly what we did.  The weather was shite!!  But a good day to go for a road trip.

My sister had fallen down some stairs two days earlier so she was sporting a moon boot and not up for walking, in fact she is on strict instructions to keep her feet up.  I purchased a divine Carrot Cake from our local supermarket and added some birthday love via the candles.  I gave her two potted Gerberas because I love them and a piece of Pottery made by Dawn.

Happy Birthday to my sister,
my best friend!!

After a couple of hours, Sue and I left and I then embarked on my role as her personal tour guide and showed off Whangamata to her.  The sun came out as we stopped at the harbour.

We grabbed ourselves some lunch in town and I took Sue into Garuda my favourite shop!  From there we headed to the main beach to have our lunch.  We were joined by a crowd of feathered friends.

Sue took these photos of me hand feeding the gulls,
so much fun.
I love how they just floated above my hand.

The clouds rolled in again but it did not bother us in the slightest.

I have been going to this place for 50 years and I LOVE it!!
But I love it best when it is quiet like now.

We watched the rain moving across the ocean in the distance.
Stormy days at the beach are some of the best.

 
Our last stop before leaving was at the Estuary end of the beach.  The weather was starting to turn so thoughts returned to getting home.  I was concerned about flooding in the Gorge as there had been so much rain and the road in there gets closed when the water level rises.

A quick detour to Whiritoa to show Sue another gorgeous coastal spot resulted in this spectacular shot.  Then we were over the hills to Waihi town where we called in on the St John op shop which was pleasantly priced and lots of goodies on offer.  Sue found some bits and I came out of there with an oil burner which I have forgotten to photograph.

In the Karangahake Gorge it was down to one lane so we got stuck in a traffic jam for about 5 minutes!!  We decided, well I decided to stop off for a break, stretch my legs etc.  Both of us don't like swing bridges but we did get out to the middle. The rain was off and on for a while so we kept going until I remembered something else I wanted to show Sue.

This cute as a button Kauri church.  The one I have stopped and dreamed about as having it as a home for years.

Come on in!!

But close the gates when you leave.

Also at Waihou, the post office is now a florist and we giggles at the Butchery shop, the skulls had red eyes which we suspected were lights!!

So our little road trip to celebrate my sisters birthday at Whangamata was great, we laughed and sang in the car, and planned our next day trip away.

Over the weekend lots of time was spent outdoors in the garden.  TOF was busy pruning and tidying up as we had a mini skip to use.  I of course wandered about with my camera.

Cheech and Chong could be heard singing from their Avery on the deck.

Under the watchful eyes of one Big cat.

TOF had helpers while he dug.

The Native plants are flowering, my Kowhai (yellow) and my Kaka Beak (red) continues to bloom.  Now all my Granny bonnets are starting to flower, with my poppies and sweet peas getting ready.

This little face was pleading to be picked up.

 I can handle the Ivy that is growing on the house,
but I am not liking the return of the FLIES!!

TOF tells me the white butterfly is a pest.
How can a pest look so good
on the Lavender?

Yesterday this beautiful wee girl came to visit with her mum and dad.  Baby Gaia is 3 months old and visiting NZ for a couple of weeks.  Her parents are good friends with the Heir.  I want one!!!  How cute is she and such a good baby.  I love that her parents came to visit us and share this gorgeous bundle of joy, cuddles a plenty!!

 



Today was a yawn for Big who decided to wash behind his ears to ensure more rain would turn up.






I managed to get sheets and towels washed and line dried before the drizzle turned up late this afternoon.






How smug does he look?  Hehehe I am the Rain Maker!!!









Thoughts....
 

 











10 comments:

local alien said...

Thanks a tour around some beautiful places. Dry days must be on their way by now.

Leeanne said...

Great SUES roadie trip! Please don't stop with those fantabulousscrumptous photo's!

Polyester Princess said...

What a wonderful post and such beautiful photographs, but then I have come to expect that from you! The photos of the Gerbera are amazing. I could eat a piece of that carrot cake, but oh your poor sister, and on her birthday and all. Hope she still had a great time. Whangamata looks very beautiful and how sweet is Kauri Church. Thanks for sharing, Sue. xxx

Julie said...

I'll bet you girls just had the bestest day on your road trip. Good on you. Yes I am enjoying the flowers bursting into life but NOT so much the flies either Sue.

Goody said...

Next time we need audio of the Sues singing road trip!It looks like you had great fun. Hope your sister's foot heals quickly and easily.

Be warned- cut nasturtium foliage can sometimes start to smell like pee after a couple days inside. The live plants do fine, but the cuttings will have you wondering whether to blame the cat or the dogs.

Babies! So much nicer when you can send them home at the day's conclusion. What a beautiful smile.

Thank you for all the wonderful photos.

Vix said...

"Did a roadie" blimey, I was expecting an X-rated post here.
Gorgeous photos, as always. Mr Big is just stunning, I love him.
Hope your sister heals very soon. xxx

freckleface said...

Oh wow! A girly road trip...and it ended up so much better than the one Thelma and Louise went on 😜 I love the picture of you and your sis and the sentiment. I'm meeting up with both my sisters next week, quite a rare occurrence these days to get us all together. Foliage is good, some people have a talent for it. I always admire it, it's like people who make neutrals look interesting. Love that little church and all those pookies. Hey, Mr Big! Xxx

Connie said...

I must apologize for not commenting of late. I have been lurking, however. You always have the BEST adventures. Lots of flowers and lots of fashion and lots of critters and lots of laughs. You and your sister are so cute together. And well, the Sues, well that goes without saying!

Mim said...

A gammy foot sounds like a rotten birthday present for your poor sister - good job you were on hand with cake!

Summer said...

Lots of beauty in these photos! Happy Friday ♥